Skywhales: Every Hear Sings | Patricia Piccinini
September 18 | 5:00 am — 8:00 am
Saturday 18 September, 5.00am – 8.00am
Maitland Regional Athletics Centre, James Street, Maitland, NSW, 2320 (Next to Maitland Regional Art Gallery)
Free, all welcome
Bookings essential via Eventbrite – click here to book now
Patricia Piccinini’s Skywhales: Every heart sings is coming to Maitland!
Experience the magic of Skywhale and Skywhalepapa, two hot air balloon sculptures, as they come to life in the glow of sunrise.
Set your alarm and join us on Saturday 18 September at Maitland Regional Athletics Centre for a once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy the spectacle of the 30-metre sculptures as they slowly rise from the ground and, if weather permits, take off across the skies of Maitland.
The sculptures gradually inflate over 90 minutes, reaching their full height around sunrise. Bring a breakfast picnic and hot thermos or pick up something from a food truck on site.
Entry is free, gates open from 5.00am. Please feel free to join the event at any time after the gates open.
Tickets are essential. All welcome.
Maitland Regional Athletics Centre is a wheelchair accessible venue.
A once in a lifetime event co-hosted by the Maitland Regional Art Gallery and Maitland City Council in partnership with the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra.
Skywhales: Every heart sings is a National Gallery of Australia Touring Event supported by Principal Partner The Naomi Milgrom Foundation and Visions of Australia. Skywhales: Every heart sings is the third instalment of The Balnaves Contemporary Series and is a Know My Name project.
Image credit: Patricia Piccinini , Skywhale 2013 , National Gallery of Australia, Canberra , Gift of anonymous donor 2019 , Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program
Frequently asked questions:
- It will be cold at sunrise, so dress warmly with sneakers or soft shoes only, heels are not allowed on the sports grounds
- Bring a torch, thermos, snacks and blanket to sit on as camp/folding chairs are not allowed on the sports grounds
- COVID safety measures will be in place with allocated areas for ticketed guests
- Weather may delay the flight to the following day, Maitland Regional Art Gallery will notify all ticketed guests via email early on the 17 September
- Food and coffee vans will be on site with refreshments available for purchase
- The Skywhales will take off (weather permitting) at sunrise
- The event will conclude at 7.30am at the Maitland Regional Athletics Centre