The 2018 Brenda Clouten Memorial Travelling Scholarships for Young Achievers in Visual Arts
Closing date for submissions : Friday 8 June 2018
Submissions must include:
– Curriculum Vitae with contact details including home address, mobile and email
– Digital files and image list
– Artist’s statement
– Travel and study proposal
– Transcript of study or graduation certificate
– Identification – photocopy of Driver’s Licence or Birth Certificate
Post or drop in hard copy submissions to this address:
The 2018 Brenda Clouten Memorial Travelling Scholarship for Young Achievers in Visual Arts
Maitland Regional Art Gallery
230 High Street*
Maitland NSW 2320
*Postal address: PO Box 220
Conditions of Entry
1. The Brenda Clouten Memorial Travelling Scholarships for Young Achievers in Visual Arts consists of two travelling scholarships to the total value of $8,000. The major scholarship is $5,000 and the runner up will receive a $3,000 scholarship.
2. Entrants must be a current tertiary student in 2018 or have graduated in 2016 or 2017 from a tertiary education institution in the Hunter Valley (including Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Port Stephens, Cessnock, Muswellbrook and Singleton).
3. Entrants must be 30 years or under at the time their application is submitted.
4. Entrants are asked to submit images of 4 artworks. Artworks must be the original work of the entrant and must have been completed within the previous 12 months.
a. Artwork submitted may be in any form of visual art. Essays and written work will not be accepted.
b. When submitting artworks, artists are asked to do so with consideration for the exhibition space for selected finalists , the Art Factory Exhibition spaces G5, of Maitland Regional Art Gallery. Please note attached floor plans.
c. Images of artworks
Please supply a maximum of 10 images supporting your art practice combined as a slide presentation in Microsoft Power Point(.ppt) or (.pptx) in a file no larger than 8 MB.
Present one image per slide including image description, title, year of creation, materials and dimensions.
If you wish to submit video footage as part of your application it needs to be hosted on YouTube/Vimeo/DropBox and you need to supply the URL to view your video on the external website.
5. Entrants are also required to submit:
– an abridged version of their Curriculum Vitae limited to one A4 page outlining arts-related training, education and exhibition history
– a photocopy of Driver’s Licence or Birth Certificate
– an artist’s statement including benefits of overseas travel and study for current and/or future practice ( max 200 words).
– an outline of proposed travel and study overseas including travel, accommodation, possible residencies, workshops and gallery visits with costings.
– Transcript of study and/or graduation documentation
6. All submissions will be considered for possible inclusion in the 2018 Brenda Clouten Memorial Travelling Scholarships for Young Achievers in Visual Arts exhibition to be held at Maitland Regional Art Gallery from Saturday 8 September – Sunday 3 December 2018.
7. Artists selected for the exhibition will be notified by Friday 29 June 2018.
8. The selected artists are requested to be present at the announcement and presentation of the 2018 Brenda Clouten Memorial Travelling Scholarships for Young Achievers in Visual Arts at 2pm on Saturday 8 September 2018 at Maitland Regional Art Gallery.
9. The selected artists give permission to Maitland Regional Art Gallery to reproduce their artwork for catalogue purposes and publicity related to the award
10. Artworks for exhibition must be delivered to Maitland Regional Art Gallery ready for installation no later than one week prior to Friday 25 November 2018.
11. The greatest possible care will be taken of all works but no liability will be accepted for the loss of an artwork or damage to any entry.
12. If insurance is required this will be the responsibility of the entrant and should include an insurance cover for transit to and from Maitland Regional Art Gallery (MRAG).
13. Works are to be collected from MRAG at the close of the exhibition by the artist on Monday 4 December 2018.
14. The winner of the 2018 Brenda Clouten Memorial Traveling Scholarship for a Young Achiever in Visual Arts Major Prize will make one artwork available to be on loan for fundraising dinners in honour of the memorial for the period of one year after receiving the award. The winning artist, on return from travel, will be invited to the following year’s exhibition opening and presentation to speak about their experience.
15. The decision of the Judges regarding the scholarship winners will be final. In the event of any other dispute in connection with the exhibition, the ruling of the Cultural Director of Maitland Regional Art Gallery shall be final.
16. Maitland Regional Art Gallery is not bound to exhibit an entry.
17. Artist’s submission as outlined above in points 4 and 5, should be submitted to Maitland Regional Art Gallery on or before Friday, 8 June 2018. Postal address is Maitland Regional Art Gallery PO Box 220, Maitland NSW 2320.
18. There is no entry fee.
F3 and G5 floor plan
Ceiling height = 3.3m