Skywhales: Every heart sings | Maitland
January 15, 2022 | 4:30 am — 7:00 am AEDT
Patricia Piccinini’s Skywhales: Every heart sings is coming to Maitland! Experience the magic of Skywhale and Skywhalepapa, two hot air balloon sculptures towering at 7 storeys, as they come to life in the glow of sunrise.
Join the pre-dawn festivities at this once in a lifetime community event. Bring your blanket & thermos or enjoy a coffee and snack from onsite vendors, then sit back as the pair slowly rise from the ground and, if weather permits, take off across the skies of Maitland.
Skywhales: Every heart sings is a National Gallery Touring Event, supported by Principal Partner The Naomi Milgrom Foundation and Visions of Australia. Skywhales: Every heart sings is the third instalment of The Balnaves Contemporary Series and is a Know My Name project.
Where: Maitland No 1 Sportsground, James Street, Maitland
Cost: Free, tickets essential, all welcome
- Entry is free, gates open at 4.30am. Please feel free to join the event at any time after gates open.
- The sculptures gradually inflate over 90 minutes, reaching their full height and taking off (weather permitting) at sunrise.
- The event will conclude at 7.00am.
- It may be cold at sunrise, so dress warmly with waterproof sneakers or soft shoes only. Heels are not permitted on the Sportsground.
- Bring a torch, picnic rug and get close the action on the grass or take a seat in the grandstand. Camp/folding chairs are not permitted.
- Bring a breakfast picnic and hot thermos or purchase something from a vendor on site.
- Maitland No 1 Sportsground is wheelchair accessible.
- Inclement weather may delay the flight to the following day, Maitland Regional Art Gallery will notify all ticketed guests via email early on Friday 14 January.
- COVID safety measures will be in place. All attendees are required to register for free tickets and sign in via the Service NSW Check in. Event capacity is subject to 2 the square metre rule.
- Attendees are not to attend if they are exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, have been in contact within the past two weeks with someone exhibiting symptoms, or have been in an area identified as having active cases of COVID-19.